Frequently Asked Questions
Metro Baseball League and Minnesota Baseball Tournaments is a non-profit organization created and existing solely to serve youth baseball in the Twin Cities metro, Southern Minnesota, and Western Wisconsin.
MBL is dedicated to offering community-based baseball, while keeping fees low for participants aged 8-16. It is a 501(c)(3) organization and offer grants to communities for field and facilities enhancements along with scholarships for those in need.
With over 10,000 kids playing in over 90 communities throughout Mpls/St Paul area and Western Wisconsin, MBL is the largest independent league of its kind in the U.S., with a 30-year legacy of quality and integrity.
Unlike many youth sports organizations, MBL and MBT focus only on youth baseball. MBL consists of traveling baseball for 80 associations of players aged 9-15 and their families, and in-house baseball for kids who wish to keep their weekends free.
MBL does not set teams and coaches. Each community team sets its coaches and rosters for each team. Communities also dictate the individual costs, including uniforms, hats, etc. (which are different from team to team based on the brands purchased, etc.)
No – MBL is very conscious of putting kids on appropriate-sized fields for their age bracket. Basepath length and the distance from home plate to the pitching rubber increase as the players grow older. MBL’s base path lengths and distance from the pitching rubber to home plate increase as the kids grow older. MBL puts each age group at the distances deemed most appropriate for safety and fair play.
- 9- and 10-year-olds: 60-foot base paths, 46 feet from pitching rubber to home plate
- 11-year-olds: 65-foot base paths, 46 feet from pitching rubber to home plate
- 12-year-olds: 75-foot base paths, 52 feet from pitching rubber to home plate
- 13-year-olds: 80-foot base paths, 54 feet from pitching rubber to home plate
- 14- and 15-year-olds: 90-foot base paths, 60 feet, 6 inches from pitching rubber to home plate (regulation size)
MBL and Minnesota Baseball Tournaments host over 380 qualifying tournaments, 19 state championship tournaments, with over 10,000 players and coaches competing. We also host the August Classic and Fall League, as well as hosting several baseball clinics a year where kids learn from experts including both professional and college baseball coaches and players. We also provide discount ticket to Minnesota Twins, St. Paul Saints, and Northwoods League games throughout the season.
The August Classic is a tournament held after the end of the regular MBL season. This fun tournament takes 2-4 players from every MBL team and groups those players with 3 to 4 other MBL teams to create an August Classic team. August Classic teams play five games during a week of tournament play against other August Classic teams in their age and level group.
As always, our season wraps up with Fall League, which runs with double-header Sundays from early September through early October. We pack in 1,600 games during fall ball, that is more than 10,000 more innings of baseball! Fall League is a fun atmosphere where kids learn different positions, improve their skills, and adjust to age-rule changes for next year.
MBL does not offer scholarships to any players. Scholarship information and application are handled by each individual community.
MBL is proud to partner with several different entities to offer clinics throughout the year for players, coaches, and even parents. Our clinics cover a myriad of topics, from general baseball fundamentals to more specific skills like pitching, catching and hitting, to clinics for coaches and parents. Here is a list of the clinics MBL was happy to offer in 2022:
- Twins Play Ball - Coach & Parents Clinic, February 2022
- St. Paul Saints Clinic, March 2022 (pitching, hitting fielding)
- Backstop Catching Virtual Catching Program, March 2022
- Rochester Honkers Kid Camp - June, July, and August 2022
- Pitcher Perfect Academy 6-Week Velocity & Hitting Fall Clinics - September 2022
- Macalister College - September 2022
- Redline Athletics & Pitcher Perfect Academy Indoor Clinic - October 2022
Stay tuned for 2023!